Author Topic: Improving Classic Dirt  (Read 17398 times)

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
Re: Improving Classic Dirt
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2008, 06:40:42 AM »
Where is Victoria ???

I think thats where the mexicans come from???? ;D

with 3 VMX clubs down mexico way (all running 5-6 different events to each other per year) its the VMX heart of OZ my friends.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2008, 09:43:02 AM »
I seem to remember that 4 of the 5 CD's have been in Victoria...so I don't know about you, but I think you guys haven't done too badly so far. ;)

Offline yzhilly

• Legend
  • Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2008, 09:48:52 AM »
I think that MX central is Exactly that ,while it was a fair hike i would do it again next year and it's not that far  for the Qld boys . Another year's work on the facility and a bit of flat track action and slightly better weather would make it perfect in my eyes. I know it would be nice to have the next one in my backyard but then there would be a heap of qld boys who would struggle to get there. And the boys did a great job getting the track open after all the rain . So i think the only way you could improve was with a bit of Flattrack time and i'm sure that would get some of the rarer and expensive bikes out on the track . my thoughts on it .
Hilly.
yzhilly ,YZ400E,,YZ250J,YZ125K,YZ100K,IT465H ,IT400D,IT250K , IT200L,XR250,XL250R,XL200R,XL125
Viper #436

Offline yzhilly

• Legend
  • Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2008, 10:04:02 AM »
If you had come along you could have put on a show for us ???.There was plenty of theatre
yzhilly ,YZ400E,,YZ250J,YZ125K,YZ100K,IT465H ,IT400D,IT250K , IT200L,XR250,XL250R,XL200R,XL125
Viper #436

Offline BultacoMacca

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2008, 12:21:39 PM »
From people I met during the week preceding CD5 there was a bit of publicity around the Hunter region - shops etc., no doubt.
A point for consideration perhaps, is the entry cost of for general spectators, ie friends of mine, & others, who were interested enough to come along but thought $20ea was a little steep for non bike people.  (Can't remember how much entry was for the previous CD's).
The other point was that Joel Robert didnt get enough time to talk at the interview on Sat nite, but that was out of VMX managements control.
Otherwise all good, thanks for the immense effort.

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2008, 07:22:42 PM »
MX central has got my vote, as its halfway between qlders and mexicano's. A good venue thats only going to get better and eager hosts. It would be good to make use of the dirt track area and a small grass track in the middle as suggested would be a good addition.The extra man power to have that running might kill that idea. Saturday night entertainment got everyone together as a group and made for a fantastic atmosphere. I think $20 to get in to any sort of event is cheap these days.

Offline ELC hunter

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2008, 07:09:12 PM »
Yes using the dirt track would have being fun its a good track when preped,but did anyone know that there used to be an endruo loop also on site that used to run around the prerimiter.The band was a fantastic surprize, and i think it brought more people in contact socially than other wise would have happened around camp sites or at least a lot quicker .if we all continue to enjoy our bikes whether building or riding there can not be a bad CD so thanks to the workers see you there next year wearever it is.

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2008, 08:43:47 PM »
i think cd5 was great central to everyone
only improvment i could see would be to have swap in one area and
pits in another, it was all over the place and when you went to go and ride on track it was a mission
to get through everyone to get onto  the road
and a big show and shine area for all the garage queens
like firkos but bigger ;D
run the road test suzukis in there own time span by themselves (prob impossible) ::)
but shit i dont care cause ill be back next year ;D
follow me to first turn

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2008, 10:20:28 PM »
Is there a common theme that people found the lay-out of the venue a bit dis-jointed?

The seperate swap-meet area sounds good, but probably won't work so well when people are camping.

It's hard to improve on something so good, I guess. :)

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2008, 07:53:39 AM »
Just FYI, the way that CD5 ended up being laid out wasn't as originally planned, due to the rain.  The main camping area was supposed to be around where Klub Kevlar was.  Also the Dirt Track area was supposed to be for day trippers' parking and overflow camping only.  Also, the large area below and between the canteen and the track was supposed to be used for the trade display/pits, but that couldn't happen either. :(

Also on the dirt track issue, one fact remains: it's a "nice to have" feature of CD, but it just costs too much to be a viable option.

At CD4 we went to the trouble of having the Dirt Track available for riding (especially after the outcry on this Forum), and despite the rain putting a damper on things then too, the reality was that only 12 dirt track bikes actually turned up to the event.  This just does not justify the extra track hire, additional MA permit fee/ rider levies, more flaggies and additional Paramedic crew that we have to have, to make it possible to run the Dirt Track.

At the end of the day, there are several great Vintage Dirt Track meetings held each year, and they need the support of the Vintage community, rather than have Dirt Track at CD.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2008, 09:00:59 AM »
Id love to see it come further south dont care how far south just further to make it a safe 1 day drive for one person.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline yzhilly

• Legend
  • Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2008, 09:17:09 AM »
Start planning your drive now Freaky in 2 one day trips up & Back.
Viper #436

Rosco400

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2008, 09:31:37 AM »
Id love to see it come further south dont care how far south just further to make it a safe 1 day drive for one person.

Newcastle is south Freaky, South of the gulf of carpentaria, south of QLD, South of the sun, has a domestic airport that is twenty minutes from the track, what more could you ask ;D

firko

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2008, 10:13:06 AM »
Jeez Freaky it's a piece of piss drive accross the Hay Plains from Adelaide. There were blokes from SA,WA, North Qld and NZ and they were'nt whingeing about the distance. Walter bought the entire YSS factory from Adelaide with not a wimper! Give youself an uppercut for missing out. There were shitloads of punters just dying to meet you in the flesh ;)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 10:14:52 AM by firko »

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2008, 10:34:44 AM »
lets pick on Freaky today.
yer come on Freaky,we have to travel from WA next year.got to meet ya ugle mug ;)
at least fuel is cheaper than a bottle of water. ;D
alison
Best is in the West !!