Author Topic: EVO GUIDELINES  (Read 22401 times)

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
EVO GUIDELINES
« on: December 22, 2015, 05:19:30 PM »
IT AINT THAT HARD, evo can be year based, still with the general guidelines of oem, 1978 to 1982. if it dosent fit that it's pre 85 or then it fits pre 90. it's got to be year based, simple.

lets just race bikes as they were raced in the day, it's only the wankers that is stuffing it up. why cant people just accept the word NO and move to the next class. year based and it solved.

anyway, merry christmas.

Worms

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: EVO GUIDELINES
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 05:32:22 PM »
Rules good or bad are the same for every one
 ;D ;D
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline DR500

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 06:16:20 PM »
I have an old 1981 DR500 with a 1980 RM front end. I fitted a 1980 front end because in 1981 i could have done it. In 1981 i couldn't have fitted a 1982 or newer front end because they hadn't made them yet. If EVO owner stick to using parts from  the year it was made, or older not newer, then i think everyone will be/may be happy.

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 08:29:30 PM »
Of course you could have fitted it. You could have fitted an 82 RM front end in 1982 to your 81 DR! There is no inherent logic that fitting older parts is only permitted. In fact it seems weird except for the cost factor of course - why put old parts onto a newer bike when newer parts are available?
Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE

Offline DR500

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 09:20:49 PM »
interesting how 1981 i could have fitted parts from a 1982 bike when they hadn't even made them
. Unless one has a time machine :o and is,nt 1982 from a rising rate full floater bike, which would be pre 85?

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 10:24:49 AM »
I've stayed out of this until now

Yep, pretty simple.  Keep the drum brakes, no water cooling and no linkage.  Pre 82 and name the other odd bikes in the rules that are beyond 82 that still fit the bill (I think someone mentioned a big bore husky and the odd KTM (?) )

Pretty simple stuff.  Yes I am an EVO rider (when my bikes are running  ::) )
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2015, 09:45:50 PM »

Yep, pretty simple.  Keep the drum brakes, no water cooling and no linkage.  Pre 82 and name the other odd bikes in the rules that are beyond 82 that still fit the bill (I think someone mentioned a big bore husky and the odd KTM (?) )

Pre '82 would include jap bikes with linkage rears.
Pre '81 is the cut off for most jap bikes. Then include the bikes such as Maico,Husky, Montesa, Yamaha etc maybe

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2015, 10:54:59 PM »

Pre '81 is the cut off for most jap bikes. Then include the bikes such as Maico,Husky, Montesa, Yamaha etc maybe

The post you quoted included "Keep the drum brakes, no water cooling and no linkage".

I think everyone (big call, I know!) agrees on those three elements.
Having the additional '82 cutoff would seem sensible, and in the spirit of the class. (Perhaps with named carry over models that were identical to their pre '82 siblings.)

If you couldn't fit it in '82, you can't fit it to an Evo bike.
It's "Evolution" before the "Revolution" of linkages, discs and water cooling.
It's Vintage Motocross.

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 09:41:45 PM »

The post you quoted included "Keep the drum brakes, no water cooling and no linkage".

I think everyone (big call, I know!) agrees on those three elements.
Having the additional '82 cutoff would seem sensible, and in the spirit of the class. (Perhaps with named carry over models that were identical to their pre '82 siblings.)

If you couldn't fit it in '82, you can't fit it to an Evo bike.
It's "Evolution" before the "Revolution" of linkages, discs and water cooling.
It's Vintage Motocross.
You could easily say pre 90 with the same criteria then.

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2015, 12:30:08 AM »
"You could easily say pre 90 with the same criteria then."

Yes you could, provided the bike had: no linkage, drum brakes and no water cooling stock.

However:
1. After '82 there were virtually no MX bikes made that meet that criteria.
2. Fitting parts, eg forks, from a later model bike, that didn't meet the criteria doesn't seem in the spirit of the class.

Once you can fit late model parts, you open up the "Frankenstein bike" can of worms.

If you include a sensible cutoff date, a question that would be self evident would be:
"Could you have made and raced that bike in 1982 (for eg)?" (Not if it has '90 model forks on it.)

I don't have an Evo bike (yet), but the class appeals on several levels. One being that many manufacturers produced models that can be reasonably competitive (under the current interpretation.) So you can satisfy the nostalgia for a certain brand, perhaps from your youth.
It's also an eara that appeals to some of us "wrong side of 50yo guys" that rode these bikes in the day, and realistically only have another 20 or 30 years of riding left in us :)

A strictly year based class like pre '78 favours any manufacturer that made a great gain in 1977, and disadvantages any manufacturer that hit the sweet spot in 1978. (Great advances each year from '73-'83.)

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2015, 11:54:08 AM »
have a frankenstien class and chuck all the bobbers in there, I remember as a kid raceing minibikes we had a special class!
if ya wanta play, anything goes, cheque book racer, do what ya want (no points) hod rod bikes, freedom of expresion, go for it, who cares, have fun! Class

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2015, 02:44:35 PM »
have a frankenstien class and chuck all the bobbers in there, I remember as a kid raceing minibikes we had a special class!
if ya wanta play, anything goes, cheque book racer, do what ya want (no points) hod rod bikes, freedom of expresion, go for it, who cares, have fun! Class

We don't need another class and I think the majority don't want it.
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2015, 04:06:14 PM »
you could put another class in and let it self regulate - if you get lots of bikes - great - if not then..................................
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2015, 06:24:39 PM »
There is already a class for 'Evo' bikes made from Pre-90 parts.
It's called Pre-90.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2015, 08:14:27 PM »
Cut off dates for EVO now ??? Might as well get rid of pre '78 and EVO and just run a pre '80 class....
Pre '75, Pre '80, Pre '85 and so on....
Would get rid of this ongoing bollocks and one less class to run on a race day. Oh wait the poor Mega 2 riders would have to ride pre '85, so that'll never happen.