Author Topic: When can I come to CD?  (Read 18031 times)

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
Re: When can I come to CD?
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2013, 01:44:08 PM »
297 sure Led Zeppelin couldn't play at Stereosonic, kids wouldn't go for it just as a B50 riding at a modern motocross event but as an older music/motorcycle enthusiast I'd be happy for Tiesto to slip in a couple of sets at a Led Zeppelin concert.  So .... although I started riding in the early '70's I can still appreciate the hard work of another enthusiast that has rebuilt their '99 dirtbike.

I guess it all boils-down to a numbers game; if 'Pre 85' has the numbers in the upper region to be able to manage a good event, then so be it.  If padding events with 'Pre 90', 'Pre 95' & 'Pre 00' to make a good show, I am all for it.

If CD & BBB can happily run as 'Pre 85' then it is up to others to get the more modern classes off the ground (as Viper has done).
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2013, 02:01:31 PM »
It's pretty simple to me.....The Classic Dirt management have no problem filling the entry quota with pre 85 bikes so there's no need for them to introduce pre 90 at the moment. Pre 90's time will eventually come but until then just enjoy it for what it is, the best fun weekend on the calendar.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 02:03:10 PM by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

IT400C

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2013, 02:18:38 PM »
what's to be gained by waiting?

what's to be gained by rushing in?

Offline Billet YZ

• Legend
  • Melton Victoria.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2013, 02:19:03 PM »
Anyone know where the great OZVMX forum went ??    Fark me 3 pages of non helpful dribble, sorry just my opinion.      Peter. ??  ?
YAMAHA  you know you want one !!!  Viper #50

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2013, 02:47:40 PM »
Firko,
Was CD9 fully subscribed? I thought it wasn't.

More participants, inclusive vibe and a healthier sport.

I also dispute that it would be "rushing in"...
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2013, 03:15:01 PM »
Was CD9 fully subscribed? I thought it wasn't
I'm not 100% sure Nathan, I thought it was, maybe Ken can tell us. Even if it wasn't fully subscribed I think the new venue would have been the main factor. The previous Conondale CD's were more than full without the need for upping the cut off date to take up the slack.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2013, 03:18:18 PM »
Would the track be cut up more by the newer bikes? More bikes and longer travel?
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

IT400C

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2013, 03:32:30 PM »
Firko,
Was CD9 fully subscribed? I thought it wasn't.

More participants, inclusive vibe and a healthier sport.

I also dispute that it would be "rushing in"...

I'm yet to see any great groundswell of support for the change that would lead in any way to "more participants, a more inclusive vibe and a healthier sport"...

From where I sit in Queensland, we already have enough participants, the 'vibe' is inclusive enough, and the sport seems pretty healthy already.

And judging by the support shown to certain high profile Post Classic events by the Pre 90 crowd, I can't see that including Pre 90 (or Pre 95) would in any way be add to the health of the sport..

IT400C

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2013, 03:34:27 PM »
oops - I'm starting to sound like Davey Crocket...

I feel the need to shower....    ;D

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2013, 03:37:52 PM »
Would the track be cut up more by the newer bikes? More bikes and longer travel?

More bikes, yes (of course).

Pre-90 bikes have no more travel than pre-85 and most Evo bikes.

There's been a pre-75/78-only track at the last four CDs - the one at CD9 was badly cut up by lunchtime on Sunday...
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2013, 03:44:12 PM »
I'm yet to see any great groundswell of support for the change that would lead in any way to "more participants, a more inclusive vibe and a healthier sport"...

From where I sit in Queensland, we already have enough participants, the 'vibe' is inclusive enough, and the sport seems pretty healthy already.

And judging by the support shown to certain high profile Post Classic events by the Pre 90 crowd, I can't see that including Pre 90 (or Pre 95) would in any way be add to the health of the sport..

You can't possibly argue that less riders and less vintage bikes makes the event healthier.
Surely?

Also, the sport in Qld happily embraces pre-90. ;)

« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 03:47:01 PM by Nathan S »

Montynut

« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2013, 03:49:59 PM »
You are loosing momentum Nathan ::) You still have 16 pages to go to break your record ;D :P

IT400C

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2013, 04:00:24 PM »

You can't possibly argue that less riders and less vintage bikes makes the event healthier.
Surely?

Also, the sport in Qld happily embraces pre-90. ;)

No, what I'm saying is that I see no need to make what would be in all probability be a very contentious decision to include Pre 90, just on the off chance that we pick up more entrants than we lose...

And Pre 90 is only included in select Qld events where there is demonstrable support for it, not across the board.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2013, 04:15:33 PM »
Why is it even vaguely contentious?

Pre-90 is in the rule book.
Pre-90 is in the magazine.
Pre-90 hurts nobody at a non-competitive event.

There is not one single logical argument against it, especially when you're using the argument that "hardly any pre-90s will turn up".

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2013, 04:23:00 PM »
You are loosing momentum Nathan ::) You still have 16 pages to go to break your record ;D :P

Not at all - my patience for slapping down red herrings exceeds anyone's supply of red herrings.
 :)

To repeat myself (and so everyone to stare at their feet again until they think I've forgotten I asked): It's the magazine's call, but I'm just not sure how excluding pre-90 bikes helps the event, or the magazine?