Author Topic: When can I come to CD?  (Read 18033 times)

When can I come to CD?
« on: August 07, 2013, 07:17:30 AM »
Been racing a KX500 1987 model in VMX for the last three years.. Rebuilt it, improved it,  raced at Mr VMX with it. Shared a Race program with Heaven with it.

Does anyone know when I would be welcome to bring it to Classic Dirt?

TM BILL

Re: When can I come to CD?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 07:40:08 AM »
I would suggest that you contact VMX magazine direct http://www.vmxmag.com.au/ as they own the rights and run the event .

The event is generally oversubscribed with pre 85 bikes so I wouldn't imagine that they would be looking to extend the cut off date anytime soon . That's only my opinion and as I say the event organisers / owners would be able to answer your question .

Why not leave your bike at home and go along anyway , its a fantastic event and im sure you would get a ride on someone's bike that is eligible for the event . You may even pick up a pre 85 bike there giving you the chance to ride more classes and more events , its a win win win  :)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 07:44:28 AM by TM bill »

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 07:52:50 AM »
Thanks for the reply Bill...  The over subscription of Pre 85 bikes makes sense but I will take your advise and email VMX may and see what they have to say...  :)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 10:13:58 AM »
I'm not going "there" again, but it seems odd for CD to be limited to pre-85 when the mag is now regularly featuring pre-90 bikes (on the cover, at that!).

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 10:46:19 AM »
I emailed Ken @ VMX mag.

Quick reply for which I thank him.

He explains that CD is a Pre85 event.  I respect that as I do whenever I enter a Heaven or Veri event.

Timing on a move to Pre-90 inclusion will be fundamentally based on demand ....  the Pre-90 scene is too small (Ken's view) to warrant inclusion. At least I have an answer.....

I am 45 this year and my era is 84 up... so maybe I will be able to showcase this era one day at CD....

With that said I can't wait to come for a ride with the fantastic people at Heaven like Greg, Glenn, Hardo ..etc on a bike I have bought specifically to race with this club. Canowindra should be awesome!!!

Always plenty on in the VMX scene I guess to keep me busy.

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 10:48:56 AM »
I'm not going "there" again, but it seems odd for CD to be limited to pre-85 when the mag is now regularly featuring pre-90 bikes (on the cover, at that!).

I hope Ken doesn't mind but this part of his reply to me answers this one for you Nathan;

"I have started to include Pre '90 bikes in the magazine as I think that worldwide there is sufficient demand for me to start including them, sparingly.  For Classic Dirt, I don't think that the demand warrants it, yet."

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 10:56:36 AM »
If pre78 was laid up in the lounge, then VMX OZ wide would have to look seriously at it !! IMOO   :)
Best is in the West !!

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 11:02:33 AM »
Nathan, Nathan, Nathan...... ;D....All we need now is Jeff to come back and we can have those big word arguments you 2 where famous for... ;D....argh, they good old days.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 11:09:07 AM »
It'll take me a couple of years to finish my '88 KX250's, so I'm not in a hurry for Pre 90 just yet ;-)
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 11:15:44 AM »

I hope Ken doesn't mind but this part of his reply to me answers this one for you Nathan;

"I have started to include Pre '90 bikes in the magazine as I think that worldwide there is sufficient demand for me to start including them, sparingly.  For Classic Dirt, I don't think that the demand warrants it, yet."

If you accept pre-90 as a valid part of the VMX scene, then how is "there's too few of them" any sort of argument against allowing them to ride at CD?
 ;D
I know, I know: his event, his ideology, his right to exclude people who want to enjoy their old bikes - can't argue with that... Just not sure how it helps the event, or the magazine?
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

TM BILL

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 11:46:32 AM »

If you accept pre-90 as a valid part of the VMX scene, then how is "there's too few of them" any sort of argument against allowing them to ride at CD?

Nathan I think if you took a vote on it ( and I don't mean a forum vote ) a vote from everyone involved in VMX in Australasia I think you would find it is still a small minority who consider pre 90 to be part of VMX  ;)

FWIW I have shifted camps and support and respect the pre 90 movement , However it still shits me ( not having a shot at 3858 as his was a valid question ) that a percentage of that movement is constantly trying to gate crash events where they are not on the dance card .

When Pre 90 becomes totally accepted you will obviously have the were not happy mob with there pre 95 bikes wanting to crash the party .

After 1990 it all becomes a boring blur until the present  ::) ::) ::)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 12:10:01 PM »
Just not sure how it helps the event, or the magazine?

Nobody is going to stay away from CD because a dozen pre-90 bikes turn up.
Nobody went home last year because there was half a dozen pre-90 (and at least one pre-95) bikes out on the tracks.

So I'm just not sure how excluding pre-90 bikes (and their riders) helps the event, or the magazine?

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 12:15:16 PM »
Good thought Bill and I can see the argument for the "gatecrash" version of what is happening.

I have been involved for three years having not raced VMX before and I just cannot get head around the Pre-85 or die mentality.

There is no Pre-95 scene that I am aware of and no one is advocating one.  What I do know is there is a valid amount of riders just running Pre-90 in Vic, NSW, QLD and Worldwide. These are guy's that have restored, customised and adhered to an era of VMX but at celebration of VMX,  get told we don't want you.

Correct me if I am wrong but most other countries extend even further than Pre-90. So for CD in particular why would you want to keep this racing class away from a celebration of VMX....??

So I am not so much of a Pre-90 advocate as someone that is having trouble understanding the reluctance of the "majority" to embrace someone with a bike that is at worst 5 years newer and has racing in the spirit of VMX for the last 3 years?

Mr VMX is one of the best events I have been to .... didn't see too many people giving us death stares at the Pre-90 start line in either of the last two years?

Maybe I will just have log back in in 5 years and see if the sport is going to progress or stay in the Rick Astley era for ever?

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
    • FULL LOAD MOTORCYCLE TRANSPORT
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 12:21:21 PM »
To people who know me and my affiliation with Pre '90 in NSW what I am about to say may seem a bit surprising.

I believe that Classic Dirt and BBB as well should remain limited to Pre '85 permanently.

Like Bill I too have changed camps somewhat and I now firmly believe that introducing later era's would be detrimental to these events.

Classic Dirt is an outstanding success and appears to be a formular the punters love. So why mess with it? If interest was waning there may be merit in looking at the format but it isn't so it should be left alone.

I think that the struggle we have faced getting people to ride our pre '90 events proves Ken's point. The numbers aren't there at the moment. When they are perhaps it will be time to hold a seperate event for pre'90 bikes.

Cheers
Shaun

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 12:25:00 PM »
Well that does surprise me Shaun.

See you Friday bud. These vinduros are the ducks guts.
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B