Author Topic: Whitsunday Classic MX  (Read 4304 times)

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
Whitsunday Classic MX
« on: May 15, 2008, 08:22:00 AM »
Whitsunday Dirt Riders club is running the annual Whitsunday Classic MX at Proserpine on the 16th & 17th of August , which is the weekend after the Conondale Classic . Saturday the 16th features a show & shine bike show from about 2pm which has prizes for most age groups of pre '85 dirt bikes & some road bikes . VMX  classes for Sundays racing are pre '78 125 , 250 , open & evolution open . There may even be a 250 evo class if there is enough numbers . One of the good things about the weekend is Camp Kanga , which is the venue for the bike show & offers meals ,accommodation ,a licenced bar & usually VMX dvds till late in the dining hall . Camp Kanga usually offers a package deal for a roast dinner Saturday night , accomodation  & breakfast Sunday morning for somewhere around $35 per person . The accommodation is pretty basic though & you need to bring your own linen & blankets & book early on 49472600 . There is an airport approx. 20 minutes away that has cheap Jetstar & Virgin Blue flights from major cities if you book early . There are many tourist attractions in this area including Airlie Beach, reef trips & sailing trips around the Whitsunday Islands .
      Last year a group of Japanese riders including Torao Suzuki raced at the event . Torao was a factory Yamaha rider in the early '70s & also finished 8th in the '78 World 250 MX Championship on a factory Montesa. The Japanese guys may be back again this year . For any info on this event or a copy of the supp. regs. you can contact Ron Single on 0429451475 . It is only about 1000km or about 11 or 12 hours drive north of Brisvegas, which is only just up the road really.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 05:45:11 PM by Husky500evo »

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
Re: Whitsunday Classic MX
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 09:18:50 PM »
Thanks for the info 500evo.

I'll ring Ron and get booking! See you there.

Cheers

Brent
The older I get, the faster I was

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 10:19:29 PM »
Suppose it will be sunny and about 30degrees celcius too ;) Must talk to my brother in Townsville have not been there for a while.............Tim
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Doc

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 10:20:29 PM »
I'll check out the cheapy plane fares and may well try to get my ass up there as well. Pretty sure I met Ron in the carpark at the Coffs DT. He just about had me sold on the idea of going then and there even if just for a look see  ;)

firko

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 10:34:22 PM »
I'll be jetting up there to have a little holiday and check out the event. Seeing I have to miss the Nats due to my Mums ill health I reckon the Whitsunay Classic will be a ripper. I've seen the DVDs of previous Whitsunday Classics and it looks like a lot of fun.

Offline brent j

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 10:39:26 PM »
hey Doc, we could take a bike up there for you, you'll just need to get it back :)

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 08:39:58 AM »
This is a meeting I would love to go to. The bike I built up (Noguchi 125) was based on the 1973 Yamaha 125 that Torao and His brother Hideaki Suzuki rode. It would be great to have a talk with him.
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline bingil 6

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 09:02:12 AM »
Iv'e attended the last six meetings and had a fat time at everyone of them so fellas if youre after a good layed back weekend with the weather to match I highly recomend it Cheers Lou

Offline brent j

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 09:28:11 AM »
I'm seriously starting to wonder if there's some way of getting you guys (Doc & DJ) there with rides?

We can carry 1 more bike or we could tow a trailer with 2+ onboard, a couple of cheap airfares and there's just the problem of getting two bikes back. Maybe someone could bring them back to Brissy at a later date????

If you're in the country DJ might as well take advantage of two great meets on consecutive weekends.

Just a thought

Brent

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 09:52:50 AM »
I wish Brent, but it would be cutting it close to the meeting that Im involved with running. To meet the guy that rode the bike back in the day would be a real insight to what they were like. I would even consider letting someone take the bike to the meeting if he wanted to have a ride.
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Doc

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 08:27:09 AM »
Brent, 'if' I can make it I may have a bike to ride supplied by a very generous central queensland vmx enthusiast. Nothing set in concrete yet but I'm working on it  ;) I have the dvd's of a few of the proserpine events from the past couple of years and it looks nice and laid back. After talking with club pres. 'Ron' at Coffs DT he all but assured me this event is one of the best and I may be gullible but he sounded very convincing! I now wish to find out for myself and best part..I be heading north not south!  ;D   

STW996

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 06:06:24 AM »
One week after Conondale with riding still fresh in mind the warmer northern climate hummm sounds like the go!!

Wiltec will be there ;D

Shane