Author Topic: Nudgee race on Sun 24 Feb?  (Read 5793 times)

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
Nudgee race on Sun 24 Feb?
« on: February 18, 2008, 07:00:33 PM »
I'm told there's a race at the Nudgee track this Sunday.
Is that correct; can anyone advise?
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

STW996

Re: Nudgee race on Sun 24 Feb?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 07:17:50 AM »
Sign on and practice day Wombat from 9.00AM

Shane

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 08:43:16 AM »
Ditto what shane said,
are we going to see that maico wombat?

http://www.brisbanemotorcycleclub.org.au/index.htm

all the racing dates/practise dates are here,
cheers
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 08:45:27 AM by vandy010 »
"flat bickie"

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 06:50:24 PM »
Thanks for the info fellas.
I think I'll come along to watch but the Maicos (plural) may have to stay in the shed a while longer.
I have Big K's 326 and the 440 Magnum import; but I have no pants!
Seriously; the leathers I thought I had are gone.
I'm getting a pair made by Doug from DBT Leathers in Sydney (thanks BETRIC for the tip).

One of our Contractors is a former flat tracker and his boy is into modern MX.
He was at the Nudgee track last weekend and he's keen to start up flat trackin' again.
He's been advised there will be some bikes for sale on Sunday.
I've given him the details of this web site and the classies in the hope he'll find something to his taste.

I think he wants a 250 or bigger for flat track; anyone out there with a bike for sale?
He hasn't mentioned a preference for any particular brand.
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline vandy010

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 10:24:35 AM »
all for the sake of a pair of pants hey.
i got a spare set of msr nylons and a spare pair of size 10 boots if that'll help get one of your maico's mobile.
seriously, if you're able to get your bike down to do some riding, the nudgee track is an excellent place to have some fun with a great surface to boot.
look out for the #789 yamaha's and that'll be me.
cheers.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 11:10:42 AM by vandy010 »
"flat bickie"

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 05:37:15 PM »
Thanks Vandy, I appreciate your offer :).
I think I'm currently a 44" waist :-[; and if this is you on # 789 in the photo I'm guessing you're not a 44 waist...
I have some boots scored recently from good old Cash Converters (unfortunately the classic Alpine Stars need major surgery :-\ to fit over the modern knee guards).
The other issue is membership - what's the story with blow-ins riding on the track?
I've mailed an application to QVMX but I've yet to receive my card.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline vandy010

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 03:07:22 AM »
yeah, thats me mate! thanks for the pic, nice soil hey?
and funilly enough, thats them msr pants right there!
sunday is the clubs "sign on" day, so technically none of us are members yet till we sign on.
you'll be able to "blow-in", join the club, and ride on the day but you'll also need a recreation-licsense as a minimum to accompany your membership in order to ride. a day liscense will be available for those without them.
i know a few other forum members will be there as well, so even if you decide not to ride i'm sure you'll enjoy it all the same.
the last club newsletter noted that a few people are heading for CD5, so bmcc may even set up a pretty solid campsite for that one, so i'll be interested to find out a bit more on the day.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 03:12:36 AM by vandy010 »
"flat bickie"

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 03:30:19 PM »
OK, I'll turn up but I'm still unclear on the membership thing.

I've sent my money to QVMX as that's the Club I've applied to join.
That being the case, can I ride at the Nudgee track if I purchase the recreation licence and the day licence?
I don't think I can become a member of two Clubs?
I'm sure it's all very simple but I'm missing the point here somewhere...

I'm hoping it's a 'can do' situation as I need to stretch the legs on both bikes.
The 326 has only been taken up and down the driveway (it's a long driveway...) and the 440 has yet to be run in.
I was 19 when I took my last blast around a track on an MX bike (I'm now 47) so I'll be taking things easy for the re-learning process!

If I can't ride I'm sure both the Canadian and the Bendigo bikes will enjoy a trip around Brisbane seeing the sights - gotta impress the immigrants!!

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 04:26:18 PM »
have a great day Wombat.

that's a big break out of MX mate, 28 years! good to see you getting back into it.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline TonyB

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 05:37:02 PM »
Wombat the only thing holding you back in joining the two clubs would be money, other than that the two clubs share probably 25 - 35% of the members anyway.
'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,totally worn out, shouting,  ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! ' '

Offline vandy010

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 02:57:08 AM »
it should be fine wombat, you don't "need" to join bmcc if you don't wish too as your qvmx membership is your ticket to a rec/day licsence, thereby getting you and your beloved maico's on the track. if none of this makes any sense, just bloomin well turn up with your bikes and riding gear and as much money as you've got and all should be sweet.
2 maico's after a 27yr break?
someones been bitten by the bug me thinks...
"flat bickie"

Doc

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 09:26:58 PM »
Really hoping to get up there on Sunday too..gots to empty the crap out of the hot rod van first and noooo, I don't mean my bikes  ::) both me and my bikes need a shakedown run before heading to Coff's to partake in some dirt track activities :P this will be the most events I have run in 1 year and there's still CD-5 and Conondale later in the year! 08 is a biggy for me  :D

Doc

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 03:00:13 PM »
took the TM/RMS for it's maiden voyage at the BMCC sign on day today. Everything went extremely well excepting it's leaning out up top even with the needle raised to max. Time for some rejetting but considering this carb was directly from a '70's 600cc snowmobile and untouched before fitting it's surprisingly close to being a straight bolt up item. The TM went well but it always does. The power difference between the 2 is like chalk and cheese but each has its strong points..needless to say I'm quite happy, with a little more tweaking  before Coffs they should be a fun thing. Great to meet Vandy and Wombat too, hope ya had a great ride Wombat, it's not easy stepping back into things after such a long time away but I'm sure it all came flooding back to you in the first half lap  ;) Highlight of the day for me was Dave Tanner offering me a ride on his RN370  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  an absolute weapon of mass destruction!!..I loved every second of it!! Have to admit I was a little intimidated by virtue of it's rarity being a factory bike and never actually haven ridden anything remotely like it so I took it pretty easy and played it safe. Thanks heaps Dave!! So glad I got my act together to get up there...a very memorable experience I thoroughly enjoyed. My best description of what it feels like is as Dave says, a TM125 on steroids!..the only thing close I can imagine would be if you bolted an RM400 into a TM125 chassis..it feels like a 125 but it goes like my 400 and you feel just as refreshed when you hop off as when you hopped on...Did I mention I loved it!!  :P ;D ;D ;D 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 03:03:18 PM by Doc »

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 06:40:25 PM »
 Woohoo, good stuff Doc ! Betcha that made your eyes go wide, a few restless nights coming up... and bonus, the 125's a goodie straight off the trailer... life's good !
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 07:49:26 PM »
Yes thank you Doc I had a ball; I met several forum members and it was a great day all round.
I only saw your bikes from a distance and I meant to check them out but I'll have to do that next time.

I didn't get in as much riding time as I hoped though - the time I spent on track absolutely wasted me!
If it was Cricket I'd have asked for a runner; but that's my fault for being an overweight fat prick...
I'd forgotten how the the forearms tighten and the legs go wobbly - and how they cramp up when trying to kick start after clipping a bike and stalling in a corner!

My ability was also extremely poor.
Anyone can hold it flat out down the straights - but in, through and out of corners is where I felt like a complete beginner.
Never mind though, I'm not disillusioned in the least; just determined to regain my former C grader mid pack respect...

Yep, all good and it was only a practice day.
I'm committed to the VMX scene and thanks to everyone who came over to say gidday.
It's quite a community you blokes (and the ladies!) have here.