Author Topic: Eligilibty scrutineer at the Nationals  (Read 67904 times)

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: Eligilibty scrutineer at the Nationals
« Reply #255 on: May 27, 2009, 10:11:16 PM »
Yeah i would like to know 100% for sure if flatslides are now allowed on EVO bikes ? because i am in the market for a new carb for my 82 twinshock PE and want to know if can use a flatslide Mikuni otherwise if not, i might get a Dellorto roundside.

If the rules were no flatslides for evo, what happens if you have a EVO bike that came factory fitted with a flatslide (im not sure there is any) would that mean you would have to change it to a roundslide and it would then not be OEM?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 10:45:57 PM by LWC3077 »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

oz555ktm

« Reply #256 on: May 27, 2009, 10:21:09 PM »

No evo bike came out OEM with Flat slides.

Offline mboddy

• A-Grade
  • Canberra
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 27, 2009, 10:23:34 PM »
Dave
If type does not matter then is it ok to use powerjets on roundslide Mikunis in either Pre-1978, Evo or Pre-1985?

Vinduro Penrite Team
1980 Yamaha IT125G, 1979 Yamaha IT175F, 1984 Yamaha IT200L, 1977 Yamaha IT250D and IT400D

Offline mboddy

• A-Grade
  • Canberra
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 27, 2009, 10:24:49 PM »

Penton did in 1977.
Vinduro Penrite Team
1980 Yamaha IT125G, 1979 Yamaha IT175F, 1984 Yamaha IT200L, 1977 Yamaha IT250D and IT400D

Offline mboddy

• A-Grade
  • Canberra
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 27, 2009, 10:34:52 PM »
Where Flat slides allowed larst year and Now this year thay are not .
I was a Scrutineer at the Australian Classic Dirt Track Titles last year.
I entered my 1977 IT250D in Pre-1978 250cc with a non-powerjet Lectron. I had a roundslide Mikuni with me that I could use if needed.
I had full supporting documentation for the Lectron with me all weekend.
At scrutineering I spoke to Dave who was the MA Eligibility Scrutineer for the event just to make sure that my interpretation of the rules matched his.
He said that he did not need to see my documentation because as far as he was concerned there was no problems with using a non-powerjet Lectron in Pre-1978.

Vinduro Penrite Team

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 27, 2009, 10:47:24 PM »

Penton did in 1977.

Pre 78 /= Evo  ???
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

magoo

« Reply #261 on: May 28, 2009, 09:29:16 AM »
No bike came OEM with Fox Airshox either but they're legal. While ever the term OEM is used in the rulebook there will be confusion, it should be deleted immediately.

Offline suzuki27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 28, 2009, 10:14:45 AM »
A couple of things; my 2 bobs worth; that come to mind in regards to the Pre-78 & Evo legalities...
 If a bike came out in 77 with over 9in of travel  eg Montesa Capra,  why would you penalise the rider and the marque for this.  Monties didn't exactly overstay there time in the sun did they?   Some might say Monty riders have spent to much time in the sun though .  Just an idea, but why not make it 10in for this class and then others could use fork kits / modifications that were available Pre-78 to make it 9.6in or whatever.
 In my experience,Flatslides are not worth the trouble. They are harder to jet right-when retro fitted , and the slides wear quicker than the rounds- in Miks anyway.
 These regulations are a work in progress but with good consultation, common sense and a "Spirit of the Era" approach, it can't be that hard...can it?

All Things 414

« Reply #263 on: May 28, 2009, 03:53:31 PM »
Two "p"s in Cappra

211kawasaki

« Reply #264 on: May 28, 2009, 04:14:14 PM »
Im going to comment here guys, just collecting the thoughts, may start a clean thread to re focus what we are attempting to do.

Dave

oz555ktm

« Reply #265 on: May 28, 2009, 05:59:13 PM »
The Only thing that need to be added to the
EVO part of the rule is

Bike must be OEM or have parts that are Made to replace OEM  with in Spirt of Erea.

this stops guys fitting later mod parts to ther Evo bikes  or
 to any bike Pre 78  pre 75 and pre 85

Some one did write that every rider as the wrigth to mod he bike to make it go farster.
This is true..

But what are we in VINTAGE MX for
It is to ride the Bike that were made in the year we Love the Most.
Or the Bike we loved to have when we were a younger Man.

There is a lot of us out ther that just love doing that rideing that bike .
But a few want to chane the bike to something that was not made .

Hot up a bike to win and yea that ok .

But to fit parts that from a newer bike is Not in the sprit of the erea.

A lot of new guys who look at the sport come a long and Look be for that come and Ride .
Thay check out bike and take photos and than chase parts up.to Build the Bike thay have at home in the shed.
Thay see that newer and  better parts have been fiterd and thay do the same .then the true bike get lost and then it go on and on.

I could go on but this has take me a hour to type

« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 07:51:48 PM by oz555ktm »

worms

« Reply #266 on: May 28, 2009, 07:02:54 PM »
well said oz ;), i think i expressed the same view earlier, about 18 pages ago and some are still going on. as i have said you should be able to race your era without all this twoing and froing if you are prepared not to twist the rules to suite your personal case, in other words, race to the spirit of your class and era and not for the mantel piece, i will get beaten by everyone in my class, but my bikes will be a true representation of class and era! after reading the MOM's i cant see where the problem is, i have pre 78 and evo bikes as produced and i will rock to scurtineering and pass whitout any prob's.

just to add you can still buy mikuni carbs are per standard and shocks and pistons and anything else you would like if you look hard enough, no excuse if you ask me!

I'm sure i will upset someone but hey, in the spirit of Vinatge Motocross, if you can prove it's legal, you cant be stop from racing, but it comes back to you to show proof as stated in the MOM's, so instead of the why not attitude, bring along the proof and say this is why i can do this or have that mod.

Are we at page 20 yet

Cheers Trev( sure to be beheaded at CD6)

colmoody

« Reply #267 on: May 28, 2009, 09:11:20 PM »
Amen.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 28, 2009, 09:20:26 PM »
well said oz ;), i think i expressed the same view earlier, about 18 pages ago and some are still going on. as i have said you should be able to race your era without all this twoing and froing if you are prepared not to twist the rules to suite your personal case, in other words, race to the spirit of your class and era and not for the mantel piece, i will get beaten by everyone in my class, but my bikes will be a true representation of class and era! after reading the MOM's i cant see where the problem is, i have pre 78 and evo bikes as produced and i will rock to scurtineering and pass whitout any prob's.

Trev, you've side-swiped a really significant point there.

Here's two things to think about:

1. We're talking about dirt bikes that are a minimum of a quarter of a century old. LOTs of parts are unavailable/unreasonably expensive, and if we were to strictly enforce period parts, it would increase the costs like crazy - this would drive most people out of the sport.
Imagine what a set of crappy old Mulhollands would be worth if we were forced to run period shocks, for example.
Similarly, inagine the drama if we had to run period tyres or hand grips or air-filters.
Now, you might say "But nobody cares about things like grips, it would be stupid to enforce only period grips" - and you'd be right.

But where do you draw the line? Everybody has their own limits to what is acceptable and what isn't. I know people who won't even consider fitting non-original grips to their bikes, while I know others that are happy to push every rule to its limit.  
Most of us fit somewhere between those two extremes, but we all have different opinions - and that's why we're at 20 pages.

2. Most of us are keen to go as fast and be as competitive as we can, legally. The curse of every historic racing category is knowing whether to allow new technology of not - and once you've decided whether its acceptable or not, the next challenge is working out how to write a rule that adequately reflects this decision.

As an example, look at modern style 'fat bars'. Personally, I hate the look of them on Evo and earlier bikes and would not be the slightest bit upset if the were banned. So let's assume that we're going to write a rule that prohibits them. How do you write that rule?
If you simply say "Handlebars without cross-braces are not allowed" then you rule out the old school solid alloy bars which plenty of people use and clearly are a period part.
If you say "Handlebars must be 7/8" in diameter" then you rule out the bikes that came with 1" bars standard.
Etc.

And that's the other reason we're at 20 pages.

Not many of us really want the rules changed. But everyone wants the rules to be clear and easily understood so that the playing field is level.
No matter what your opinion on what the rules should clearly say, if we could achieve this, it would be a huge step foward.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 28, 2009, 09:25:54 PM »
And just like religion, everyone is happy with their beliefs/understanding of the rules, and they'll all swear black and blue that they've understood correctly and that everyone who disagrees is wrong.

Imagine how much less shit the world would have, if every religious person interpreted their holy book in exactly the same way as every other person of their religion.... ;)

Unlike followers of the Bible/Koran/etc, we have the opportunity to modify our 'holy book' to make that dream a reality.