Author Topic: cleaners and degreasers  (Read 3442 times)

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
cleaners and degreasers
« on: November 01, 2016, 07:33:24 PM »
whats everyone using?? im using a truck wash and car detergent mix but its no where near as good as the stuff used in the bike shop...no idea what it was (1999) it was caustic based and lift the plaque off a tombstone if you weren't careful.

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
Re: cleaners and degreasers
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 08:42:30 PM »
Got a few things on the shelf But at the moment its Blueberry scented car wash  from supercrap and an orange can no name brand degreaser that actually works pretty damn good. My roadie has a single sided swing arm and its all cast ally and the chainlube was caked on. a can of this stuff and a bit of a brush with what looks like an oversized toothbrush and its sparkling clean again. Its not an ally cleaner so non corrosive. I also have a bit of CT18 thats good and the same brand aluminium cleaner the pink one for some jobs and that stuff is corrosive as it contains phosphoric acid.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 09:07:26 PM »
im thinking ct 18 may be the easily obtained clenoleum gear

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 09:22:17 PM »
Yep CT18 is good, Used Shell Teepol years ago, it was pretty strong, left streaks on seat covers if mixed too strong or left on too long, but it worked great :)

Offline Moto

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 12:47:32 PM »
Shell Teepol is now called Shell Dobatex (who thinks up these names).Have been using it to wash bikes for years.Its better than CT18 because it is a degreaser as well.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 12:51:42 PM »
that's what I need ....teepol/ dobatex,cheers

Offline James Lee

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 05:22:24 PM »
I used to use some stuff at a bike shop in the 90s called rip off,it was amazing but concentrated so needed to be diluted with water.

Offline hoppy

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 06:26:58 PM »
I was using the CT18 truck wash but you have to be too careful how long you left it on.
Sparkles but leave it on too long and it attacks the surfaces. I prob had it too concentrated.
Now just use the heavy duty car wash a bit more work but does the job.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 07:24:04 PM »
I remember rippoff, strong caustic base. in undiluted form it burned my skin more than I wanted it to!! took a lot of washing to get it off my hands, mistook it for the hand cleaner in the container nxt to it