Author Topic: Frustrating! Any ideas?  (Read 6111 times)

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
Frustrating! Any ideas?
« on: February 21, 2018, 06:58:40 AM »
OK Huskyphiles, here's a curly one (hopefully it's a case of not seeing the forest for the trees).
I have a 1977 CR390 engine causing me some mental trauma in that I cannot get the shift system to go back to the neutral position after selecting a gear, it just stays put. I started with NOS cases, they virtually fall together during assembly so no misalignment there. I have had all shafts fitted with & without gears, all together & individually, all are free & move easily. I have had 3 different shift shafts, shift quadrants, shift locator & shift drums in with no success. The indent pointer & spring are also NOS. Even with just the shift shaft, locator, indent pointer & quadrant fitted & cases closed up, it just selects but does not return to the neutral position, there seems to be no tension on the spring (I've tried 3 different springs). I have done lots of these engines & even a 250 just yesterday morning without coming across this before. It's doing my head in as it's a very simple system. Any help/info much appreciated.
Cheers,
K

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Frustrating! Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 08:03:49 AM »
gear lever isnt fouling the cases??

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 09:33:22 AM »
Engine on the bench, gear lever hasn't even made it into the equation other than to test the mechanism.
K

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 09:53:41 AM »
Does it do it with no clutch basket in place?
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline ralph311

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 11:03:06 AM »
A shot in the dark.... could there be a lack of float when the cases are tightened? An easy check could be to temporarily install two centre case gaskets and see if it improves.

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 01:05:10 PM »
Well, I finally found the issue after LOTS of mental trauma & I'm a dickhead!. Out of frustration I got an old set of cases & was about to transfer everything into the LHS case & put the RHS case on the floor at my foot. As I put it down I noticed something & began swearing at myself. NOS cases don't come with anything in them, they are bare cases. I was onto the bush for the shift indent pointer but didn't think about the long pin in the RH case which locates the shift spring, it's not there, doh! A trap I will not fall into again.
Cheers,
K

Offline euro bikes

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 09:36:45 AM »
That happened with some 77 125 cases I had too .

Offline Curtis

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • japspec.com.au
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 09:46:12 AM »
Isnt working on old bikes fun...