Author Topic: PE250c shock length  (Read 3094 times)

Offline Terrapista

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
PE250c shock length
« on: December 30, 2019, 05:03:41 PM »
Hi.
I have original KYB shocks rebuilt by Rod at Rad. Problem is they are 400mm eye to eye and the ones I have on now are 375mm. I rather have 375mm as I am only 5'5 tall and I believe changes to geometry have to be done also for the forks.
 I looked at Leith's response to this issue as follows from a previous thread

"the problem will the in the chain/swing arm pivot area. the longer shocks will put too much of a angle on the swing arm and chain may rub/hit swing arm a lot more than usual and will rip through the buffer in no time. i dont recommend going this much longer. a better option would be to shorten the shocks, either by shortening shaft and or shorter lower eye, both easily done. chances are they already have too much shaft stroke for the 250 B anyway."

How is shortening done as he mentions it is easily done. Otherwise i would have to sell them. My shocks have been rebuilt to be rebuildable which is a shame to let go of as many OEM shocks are not rebuildable and they look straight outta the factory.
Thank you for any help and happy new year!

Offline Oldfart

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: PE250c shock length
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 10:08:29 AM »
I assume Leith is talking about taking the Eye off and reducing the length from the shaft.
Rod will be able to help you out with this... he will also put extra grooves in the shock, if asked to allow for spring pre-load.

Offline Terrapista

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 08:13:09 PM »
I was going from existing shocks which are shorter to longer shocks. It is recommended that it is not ideal to do so. It is better to try and sell the longer shocks and rebuild the original ones on the bike
It has been a rookie error that got me to this.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 06:52:39 AM »
huskys use the itc ohlins in the 83 84 models and change the travel from 12" to 10" with an internal spacer. you could look at getting a spacer turned up and fitted?

Offline Terrapista

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 02:35:49 PM »
Yes. Looked at every option but i will keep it simple. I am rebuilding the KYB 375mm and keep travel as per factory specs. Luckily i have sold the longer shocks to fund the rebuild.
The gentleman who bought the 400mm shocks is putting them on an RM125c. I mentioned the issues he would have but he was not concerned as he mentioned suggestions you guys have posted here.