Author Topic: Westgate track 1988  (Read 9842 times)

Offline over the bars

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Westgate track 1988
« on: March 26, 2010, 07:40:01 PM »
At the Westgate track on the best honda i had . A 1988 CR 250 RJ

Offline over the bars

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Westgate track 1988
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 07:44:54 PM »
More Westgate Circa 88

ianscr250

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 11:52:38 AM »
com on guys surely you all have pics fromthe early days   the great 80's of moto cross to share like these

great pics
keep em comming

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 09:50:00 AM »
Awesome.  I used to knock off work early to go ride there during the week.  Great track. 

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 10:19:37 PM »
They’re a couple of good photo’s OTB. I used to practice down there from time to time as well.
Never liked it that much, it was too much like hard work  :D, but it was a good semi local practice track.
I found some old photo’s I took from Epping Mini bike track and Broadmeadows that I was going to scan and put up, that was a couple of months ago, I’m afraid I have lost them on my desk. ::)
I’ll have a clean up and do something about it after the Nats.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

All Things 414

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 08:11:52 AM »
Yeah. We used to get there a bit too ;).

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 09:19:20 AM »
Before they built that track I used to practice in the 70s on the other side of the road a bit closer back towards Port Melbourne. Had a sand based mx track and also a clay/salt pan area that was great for practising to be a speedway star! Learnt early that the pursangs didn't have flash metalurgy as a mate Steve Ireland snapped a 250 pursang in half at the head stem at what could only be described as bumps. He broke his collar bone and went off to hospital, we took the broken pursang home in the rear section of the falcon stationwagon only to be pulled over by the coppers for this mysterious item hanging out the back. I reckon they thought we had been knockin over a house or two.

firko

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 11:52:10 AM »
I remember on my first trip to Barrabool in the early nineties, looking to the left while crossing the Westgate Bridge and seeing what must have been the Westgate motocross track down below. There were a shitload of guys buzzing around on what appeared to be a pretty rough little track. Being from Sydney, the amazing thing for me was finding a track so close to the CBD and factories. There was nothing within a cooee of civilisation in the Premier State back then (even worse now) and I recall thinking how lucky you Victorians were. When I got to Barrabool and saw that amazing paddock, I then knew how lucky you were.

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 10:19:17 AM »
Yeah. We used to get there a bit too ;).

Good shot 414.  By the year that was taken, I was going down there a lot when you were.  I forget the guy's name that used to run it back then; I know he was a member of Victoria's finest though. 

Cougar Honda MX team manager (and now Aussie SBK promoter) Yarrive Konsky used to ride there all the time.  One night he was there cutting laps himself, and he went over the bars and broke both wrists.  Apparently he had to crawl over to the concrete plant 500m away in the dark to get help..  ;D

Fastest guy I ever saw around Westgate was Craig Carmichael from South Australia.  Ciscos & Krooz Tune were down there one night dialling in his KX125 for the Aussie titles.  He'd never seen the track before, but the big guy tore it up like you wouldn't believe.   :o

All Things 414

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 01:51:21 PM »
Yeah. That was a great bike, great year. :P We were racing every weekend all over the place. And you could still ride on Monza Park Sat/Sun without all the crap that they have now or choof off down to Westgate for something different. We had a pretty good crew happening then and it was like one of those 'endless summers' that you hear surfies crapping on about. :)

The following year I stuffed my neck, my first missus was crackin' the shits about the bikes and we all went our seperate ways. My mate John Dixon who'd been around for years did that poster up for me and it sat in a box in a dark corner of the shed with the trophies for too long untill I got into VMX. My new missus took it out and hung it on the wall. What a girl...... ;)

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 09:45:57 PM »
I forget the guy's name that used to run it back then; I know he was a member of Victoria's finest though. 

Did someone end up running it as a business?
All I ever knew was you just turned up & rode.
Trying to think the last time I rode their, maybe 87 or 88
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2021, 09:35:27 PM »
Changed a bit now,featured on Gardening Australia Friday night ,all spruced up with green things???????? ????????????
Best is in the West !!