Author Topic: Vintage aftermarket head shooutout  (Read 8041 times)

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: Vintage aftermarket head shooutout
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 09:35:22 AM »
thanks Doc
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 09:43:44 AM »
Awesome Doc go to the "head" of the class  ;D
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Doc

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 01:17:56 PM »
actually fella's you can thank Seige and the Honda site hosting it..I just copied the links  ;) interesting and quite an unbiased test I feel...as rare as the heads themselves

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 02:51:47 PM »
an excellent read!
thanks Doc,
it makes me wanna swap my DG head for a webco though...
"flat bickie"

firko

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 03:53:52 PM »

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 04:52:06 PM »
I would disagree with the conclusion though the T&M head looks best although it is down on peak it maintains it for a long time,followed by the Ocellot.The Webco makes the most at peak but falls off a cliff just after as with the rest.But for value(and performance) a modifyed standard head wouldn't be beaten ;)
It's not unbiased just a proper evaluation using a standardised test and data recorded beats "my mate reckons......"
Jesus only loves two strokes

firko

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 04:58:58 PM »
I'm on Lozzas team with this one. Two stroke technology has come a long way since these aftermarket heads hit the market so to ake advantage of the newer ideas it's cheaper to get someone who knows his stuff to mod the stock head. Of course if bling is important you can have the aftermarket head done. Actually, I'm in both camps. I'd modify the aftermarket head for the best of both worlds.

Doc

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 07:51:29 PM »
Different strokes for different folk..I'm in agreement with the above statement about modern technology but eh..build it stock, get the handling right and only then go looking for more HP if needed. Pretty hard to beat a well sorted stock bike ;) I feel the reason for the $ factor in the aftermarket heads is more about the era and not so much about performance. They look bling to some and I still hold my favorite as the head that pretty much came last..the FMF porcupine...bling bling..I want I want! ::)

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 08:25:15 PM »
we cant assume everyone buys these to actually go on a bike. some people display this kind stuff in glass cabinets and around their bar in their houses and have a VMX memorbillia display in a room of their house or shed. theres people who stick old JT jerseys up on their walls and stuff like that. when i bought a nos preston petty headlight the seller asks me 'so are you gonna use it or just display it in a cabinet'. i said i will use it ofcourse ;D

i was also reading an article about a bike with a DG head today and they said the main function of the DG is not increase HP but to increase heat dissipation/better cooling.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 08:35:38 PM by LWC3077 »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 10:46:28 PM »
Better cooling???? ;D ;D ;D That has to be the funniest thing I have heard in ages.Suppose you have to say that when someone proves they make less HP than the standard head.True that standard head heats up quicker but does NOT disapate the heat as fast as the standard head.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 08:05:10 AM »
Heres a head I bid on last year, the seller is a cashed up forker who always outbids me on anything useful for the TM but is it worth what he's asking? NO!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/73-75-Suzuki-TM125-TM-Webco-head-VERY-NICE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35581QQihZ004QQitemZ140201459067QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 09:41:47 AM »
I managed to get a couple of Webco's for CR125 from ebay. One in Sydney for $75 including postage and one from the States which cost AU$95 landed. DG's and FMF porcy's are a little different in price though. I have found it easier to buy complete running bikes with them fitted for better prices. Replace the heads with standard ones, keep the fancy ones, sell the bikes, heads are cheap. They're out there if you are patient.
K

Doc

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 02:43:37 PM »
only thing I don't like about the Webco is it weighs a bloody ton..kinda negates the little extra performance as the weight is also up quite high.  Think I'll stick with my stockers and spend my $ on tyres..I never seem to have enough..good ones that is  ;)

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 09:29:24 PM »
Doc's got a good point if you buy these things for a bike you race because they make it faster  8) does that mean you run around the block every night so your lighter fitter stronger  ::) and you go faster or is that to hard because you can't buy it with your wallet.  ;D jimson
Just a balless freak having a go