Author Topic: Race Tech Emulators and YSS PD valves  (Read 25788 times)

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Race Tech Emulators and YSS PD valves
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2013, 05:39:27 PM »
I got a set of the PD ones - installed in my YZB - whilst I found out later (much later) the installation was very ordinary they worked very well - noticeable difference.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Kenneth S (222)

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
    • 24 Hour T-shirts
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2013, 08:03:06 PM »
Is it technically legal or not for VMX?
Kenneth S
Go For It

Heaven VMX Club - Racing No 222 - 79 CR250RZ - 84 CR250RE (Steam Train) - 89 CR250RK

Race Bike History
76 RM125A, 77 RM125B, 78 RM125C, RM400C, 79 CR250RZ, 80 YZ250G, 81 RM465X, 82-83 RM490 Frank Pons Special(Beetle's 81 Race Bike)

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2013, 08:27:02 PM »
Legal.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2013, 08:41:21 PM »

Fork internals are free Ken ( According to the secretary )
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline Bullet

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2014, 07:47:43 PM »
Love to see gear made here in OZ.

Cheers Mick

Offline kim80y

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2014, 09:47:59 PM »
Whatever you do don't get Teknik valves, mine torn apart in my forks in the first 1/2 hour on the bike, and not doing moto either, and they were fitted by teknik...... >:( >:(
Racetech ones that replaced them were at least twice as thick material in the body!!!! 8) 8)

Thats my 2 cents... ;) ;)
Cheers
Kim

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2014, 11:24:35 AM »

Good question.

There is nothing in the GCRs saying you can fit emulators.  There also isn't anything saying you can change ignitions or use modern shocks etc.  It appears to be one of the unwritten rules.
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2014, 01:44:33 PM »
It's the rules that say what you can't do that you need to pay heed to! If it is not banned then it is OK...until it's banned later   ::)
Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2014, 02:01:49 PM »
It's the rules that say what you can't do that you need to pay heed to! If it is not banned then it is OK...until it's banned later   ::)
nice way of putting it ;) the old external stock appearing

Offline Wasp

• A-Grade
  • Your Suspension Solution since 1989
    • View Profile
    • Suspensionshop
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2016, 09:06:14 PM »
The PD valves are designed and made in Australia . Depends where you live , you support your local product . http://store.suspensionshop.org/bultaco/mx/1980-1989/70-80-matador-pd-fork-valve.html

If you want to live in a country that build things .... you have to buy things your country builds ...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 07:26:18 AM by Wasp »
VMX shocks , We don't just sell them - I design and produce them individually for you since 1989.

Offline euro bikes

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2017, 06:46:22 PM »
Are using all this modern stuff which was not around then taking away from what and how these old bikes were so changing the whole idea of riding old bikes instead of new bikes in old clothing. To me your cheating yourselves of what riding old bikes are about. Just my idea I know, it's not everyone else's.

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2017, 07:41:35 PM »
Are using all this modern stuff which was not around then taking away from what and how these old bikes were so changing the whole idea of riding old bikes instead of new bikes in old clothing. To me your cheating yourselves of what riding old bikes are about. Just my idea I know, it's not everyone else's.

I couldn't afford "Simmons" (factory yellow) forks back in the day (described as "anti cavitation" from memory). Pretty sure the factory's all had better fork internals. Any of them like the the emulators being discussed?

My suspension guy, who has revalved all my modern forks said (of my old RM forks) "if they go up and down, without leaking, they are as good as they get".

They actually seem ok to me, although after all the fun on the "drunks hill" jump at CD, they are leaking....
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 10:08:01 PM by skypig »

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2017, 08:22:18 PM »
To me I don't really care what sort of internals you have got inside your forks, motor or whatever. The first and most important thing with a build for me is if it looks externally correct/period and meets the rules if used for competition if those are requirements/desires. Is the finish correct, is the colour correct? I  will admit I am pretty pedantic with that stuff. I go to great lengths to research correct colours, finishes and decals. I do not expect others, especially ones building bikes specifically for chasing trophies or on a budget to have the same outlook. Those details do not matter to some. Some are just concerned with meeting the bare min requirements of the rules. That is fine. That’s not to say i will only use NOS decals with 1970’s adhesive on them but I will go to great lengths and do a lot of research to find out if what I want to use or correctly reproduce or claim reproduced as an exact reproduction will look correct and be correct. I am quite obsessed  with attention to details . For me I like the vintage and period bikes that I like because of what they look like. Unless I was racing and desperately wanted another (there becomes a point where they are a pain in the arse to store/display and are dust collectors) plastic trophy then I would fit emulators and use the best modern shocks and modifications I could afford that met the rules, after I was sure my riding ability and fitness was the best it could be as well. I actually have got a set of emulators for some 36mm KYB forks sitting doing nothing, new in packet and I would actually rather spend double the price on reproducing period correct internal parts or modifications than fit them. But like I said I am totally obsessed with being as period correct as realistically possible. I would much rather fit a vintage ‘fork kit’ or use restored period correct shocks or engine internals (eg not modern V-force reed blocks) that were available when the bike was current, even if the rules allowed me to fit more modern stuff.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 08:29:18 PM by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Monoshock Doc

• Novice
  • Monoshock and later dirt suspension rebuilds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2017, 08:56:10 AM »
Race Tech fork Gold Valve Emulators are the only ones I've tried that haven't tore themselves apart in the forks.
You'll also get two different rates of preload spring with the Race Tech emulators and they are extremely solid units.
Take the time to set them up properly  (with the right rate spring) and you'll have a very enjoyable ride.

Offline Wasp

• A-Grade
  • Your Suspension Solution since 1989
    • View Profile
    • Suspensionshop
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2017, 09:47:14 PM »
Thanks for the plug . R%oss  Nimmo Carpet cleaning . Yes easy to install and very effective. Sturdy and robust  at $149 per set .   http://store.suspensionshop.org/maico/mx/1960-1969/68-70-mc-250-pd-fork-valve.html
VMX shocks , We don't just sell them - I design and produce them individually for you since 1989.