Author Topic: Race Tech Emulators and YSS PD valves  (Read 25797 times)

Offline Paul552

• Legend
  • HEAVEN #552
    • View Profile
Re: Race Tech Emulators and YSS PD valves
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2013, 08:44:33 PM »
I had racetech fitted to my yz125d and it cost me like 900 bucks and they where harsh as.
I emailed racetech and they told me to change the emulator spring and they were heaps better.
I would like to fit some to the cr125re I am building but not sure what machining is needed.
I will stear clear of the Yss so thanks for the tip.

Was that just for the emulators? Most of their late 70's yz125 kits are listed for under 200

Yep and the machining!

I will do them myself this time .

Does anyone know if you need to machine the top of the rod on a 84 cr???
'77 YZ125D '84 CR250RE '89 CR250RK '84 CR80RE  '09 YZ250F

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2013, 09:06:43 PM »
I leaning towards the Race Tech emulators but will wait until I ridden the completed bike before taking the plunge. After looking at the Race Tech website I states that I need adaptors that sit between the damping rod and emulator. This appears to add about 40 mm+/- on top of the damping rod (combined height of emulator and adaptor). Those that have fitted them did you have to alter the length of the fork springs? I also looked at the Race Tech springs and unless Im reading the info wrong it states that they are 375mm long where the originals are 575mm. At any rate I have the part numbers for the emulators and adaptors so will buy locally and they can then supply springs so if I get wrong ones they are easily returned!!
You have to make an adaptor for the emulator to sit in. It's basically like a socket that gets welded (bronzed) to the end of the dampening rod. To fit it properly, you need to make sure that the top of the socket the emulator valve sits in is the same original total length of the dampening rod. Spring length should remain the same unless you are after more/less preload. Not sure about the '84 CR's, but I'd imagine you need to do the same thing as above.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline kenny5000

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2013, 09:20:05 PM »
Race Tech have adaptors to suit my application (75 250GP) listed on their website thankfully!

Offline euro bikes

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2013, 07:52:12 AM »
It takes away why you ride old bikes if you put things that were not available in the day.

Offline screamin62

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2013, 09:01:52 AM »
It takes away why you ride old bikes if you put things that were not available in the day.
I disagree completely. The charm of the old bikes is still there with better suspension, the only thing missing is the pain the next day. Don't get me wrong, I love period correct vintage bikes but they are best for display not regular riding. Just my opinion....
Wow, did I really just open that can of worms?

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2013, 09:38:47 AM »
It doesn't matter what you do to 7 and 4 suspension. All it does is hold the bike up  ;D Seriously, I wouldn't race a stock 7 and 4 travel bike. The original suspension components are usually stuffed for a start and will cost a small fortune to rebuild them or replace if you can find the parts, which might be worthwhile if you are doing a 100% correct resto. There are better options for racing so why not use them?
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2013, 09:43:32 AM »

If you're trying to compete with people who have considerably better suspension, then you are putting yourself at a disadvantage.
Maybe the rules could be changed to mandate old spec stuff only, but the hassle of checking and enforcing compliance would outweigh any possible benefit.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Vintmxman

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2013, 10:22:18 AM »
I have been installing Racetech emulators(176.00) new seals , oil etc...for 250.00 that includes my time...900 bucks is a total rip off unless your not telling us something big ! The emulators are simple to install...

Offline davidmc

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2013, 04:25:25 PM »
They are similar, one is a copy of the other, must take care how they are fitted and like anything away from standard, then need to be set up to get the best from them.

Offline kenny5000

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2013, 05:31:01 PM »
So if I fitted the emulators (with race tech adaptors) myself what would i need to look out for. From all the info I can see online they basically sit on top of the damping rods and are held in place by fork spring. Tuning aside which will take time after riding what else needs to be done. Race Tech say to resurface the head of the damping rod, how extreme is the resurface?? Any other issues in fitting?

Cheers

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2013, 06:50:54 PM »
So if I fitted the emulators (with race tech adaptors) myself what would i need to look out for.

Cheers

First would be someone who wants to charge $900. Next would be anyone who said how hard it is to fit them. My experience was
Measure damper rod piston ID(not tube)
Measure PD valve OD
No machining required.
Set damper rods in V block
Drilled new holes at 90 deg to the existing holes
Debured and radiused new and existing holes
Reassembled forks
Set air gap to 190mm (spring out fully compressed) with 10wt oil
Installed spring, top cap and put back on bike
 Not touched since.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline kenny5000

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2013, 12:55:04 PM »
Cheers Lozza,

What bike was the above for?

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2013, 01:08:06 PM »
So if I fitted the emulators (with race tech adaptors) myself what would i need to look out for.

Cheers

Set air gap to 190mm (spring out fully compressed) with 10wt
190 air gap? that's huge. Is that what they recommend with the PD valves?

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2013, 01:42:59 PM »
My  TS400 forks, 190mm air gap was a generic figure I remembered/read on the net/was told/plucked out of my arse, end up withe good high and low speed damping, progreesive damping with stroke and  no more blown seals. Mind this was 5 or 6 yrs ago I did that might have been 90mm
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline kenny5000

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2013, 07:21:17 PM »
Can anyone suggest a supplier in OZ??? Shock treatment have them in stock and ready to ship. Who else is gooD for pricing??