Author Topic: Dual leading shoe for Maico 490  (Read 7803 times)

Offline crabman

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Dual leading shoe for Maico 490
« on: November 20, 2007, 03:24:34 AM »
Hi
I am writing from South Africa. I own two Maico' s 490 twin shockers neither of which stop too well. I am thinking of trying to convert both 490's to a twin leading shoe front brake larrangement, ike the YZ 490 Yamaha. Has anybody done a similar conversion ?
I have sourced a Yamaha 490 hub, looking at the differences it looks like a lot of work. Alternative would be to run a Honda twin leading shoe with a set of Showa fORKS.
Any advice given will be positively received.
Thanks
Old and slow - and happy

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Dual leading shoe for Maico 490
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 06:12:45 AM »
hi this  brake set up was on a old 490 i bought  standard axel ,new spacer and a lug welded on the inside off the fork leg im sorta wishing i had keep those bits cause mine go faster when you pull the front brake on
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 05:44:58 AM by paul »

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 10:37:56 PM »

Pauls' pic is of a front end I now have , thanks to a swap with Paul for the original gear. I have to say that whoever modded the leg by welding on the lug REALLY knew what he was doing as sliders hate having things welded on them with massive distortion a distinct possibility.

An easier way of getting a result is using a YZ465 2L/S brake assembly in the standard Maico forks coupled to an adaptor plate and torque arm, or a plate running down the inside of the forkand the front wheel with a lug fitted to it. If I can find one I have I'll post a pic.

There is no need to ditch the standard front end, it just requires some creative engineering.

See you at the back of the pack in 08  ;)
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) vapourblasting@yahoo.com.au

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Offline crabman

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 06:18:34 AM »
thanks from South Africa
Old and slow - and happy

Offline TonyB

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 02:45:26 PM »
crabman are you Andrew?
'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,totally worn out, shouting,  ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! ' '

Offline crabman

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 08:49:40 PM »
Hi it is Gavin Williams, I think you may have confused me with Andrew Peinke, one of the larger collectors of VMX bikes in South Africa. Andrew has an impressive collection of VMX bikes, from time to time I have dislodged a gem from him. Andrew has become a living legend both in terms of the size of his collection, detail and originality.
CHOW from South Africa
Old and slow - and happy

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 10:20:41 PM »

Hey Gav,

Have you got any lions in your backyard? Or Girraffes or elephants, lol ???  :D ???

Any chance of posting some pics of the racing over there?

Cheers mate,

Dave
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) vapourblasting@yahoo.com.au

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 06:43:06 PM »
I'd also love to see the sort of tracks you blokes have in S.A.
Piccies would be geat.
'490, I imagine the lions/giraffes are as thick on the ground as the 'roos and koalas strolling our streets... ;)
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 06:51:23 PM »
so dave what the creative engineering that you have in mind or is it top secret, ive just polish this so will i weld a 1foot brake arm on for leverage ;D

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2007, 11:45:20 PM »

Hey Paul,

That 490's looking sweet - keep polishing it now!

Keep on my back and I'll get cracking on a torque plate for the YZ465 2LS. BTW the wheel etc you posted is KTM, not Yammy so I'll be interested to see if I can use the lugged left slider with a 465 wheel.

See you at the back of the pack in 08  ;)

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2007, 01:41:10 AM »
was all that driveing  my eye site  falled me   ;D

Offline crabman

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2007, 05:32:20 AM »
Unfortunately I do not have many photo's I will ask around, the only photo's on hand were photo's of me riding a 1983 480 CR Honda in a modern day race. On balance if I added my age 43 and that of my Honda 24 it would have given me a combined age of 77 against the average age of the field below the age of 30 and a bike age of 1. None the less the geriatric combination finnished 8 or 9 ( old timers cannot remember) out of a field of about 15. Wwill post some VMX photo's shortly.

Old and slow - and happy

TooFastTim

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2007, 07:29:48 PM »
Ah, Killarney (15k's outside Cape Town) the number of times I've been out of my tree there are too many too count.

Offline crabman

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Dual leading shoe for Maico 490-Update
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 03:16:25 AM »
Bought a bag of old Miaco bones - believe it or not I was once told that a dual leading shoe had been fitted at the factory for a local South African champion at the time. If correct then I found the bike many many many miles from where it was raced in an old filthy workshop, in a very sad state - dual leading shoe looks fine.
The luck of the Irish they say
I am happy, so happy so very happy, very very happy
Old and slow - and happy

Offline TonyB

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 09:55:52 AM »
Oh well i guess us Yamaha guys don't have to worry about bodgy front brakes and welding things onto forks etc, we just get the perfect bike in one package,  ;D ;D
'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,totally worn out, shouting,  ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! ' '

Offline Maicojames

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2008, 09:45:11 AM »
Oh well i guess us Yamaha guys don't have to worry about bodgy front brakes and welding things onto forks etc, we just get the perfect bike in one package,  ;D ;D

Yes, and the YZ490K is a great example ;D ;D ;D, Tony I am not sure why some put a DLS ona Maico. The drum and shoes often need to be turned, but my SLS stoppers work great, and it leaves  the YZ parts alone for you guys too. ;D
Life is suddenly very Monaro