Author Topic: The Black Rat  (Read 68041 times)

Offline Bumper

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
The Black Rat
« on: September 22, 2012, 01:23:05 PM »
Having been out of circulation for many years, the BLACK RAT is coming back to life.
Starting with the engine, here is some pics, will update as we go. What is important is if anyone has any knowledge of the past history of the RAT, particularly photos i would be very keen to see/here.

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
Re: The Black Rat
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 02:28:22 PM »
Hey ya Bumper, did you contact Tim754 for any he might have. post up lots of pics as you progress mate.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 10:35:19 PM »
Lets see, the rat was originally made from four or five wrecks that were blocking up the entrance to the drunk tank at Steve's "place of abode" Some chalk mark outs on a concrete floor provided the quality non CAD design, mixed with copious amounts of crude donor scrap, very crude engineering and very very crude red plonk... Steve started out with his then female partner Karen flogging the tits off both at various VMX meetings around Victoria. At this time and even for a while when my son Daniel was his passenger (*) the wonderbike had a rigid sidecar wheel. Later on as his kidneys/liver/gall blabber and most the rest of the crook/smoked/pickled parts of his body went very down hill we used one wet and pissed Saturday to put the first of many useless crap very sussspension arms to it.

(*) Often passengers were just mugs who we gave two minutes training.. found via a request for at the riders briefing!!!   How I used to love seeing the terror and pain in their eyes...

I have only a few photos of the Steve and the Rat as well, we were into the bikes not the cameras sorry,. Cheers Tim754

Also sorry about the homemade inlet manifolds.... my first effort at making hacksaw/brick bolster/boxing glove engineering at 3am in a derelict caravan.. at um somewhere ????.......
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 11:00:33 PM by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 10:40:02 PM »
I did enter a photo here sometime ago as my favourite personal one, It was titled "Sidecars in the Mist" taken one foggy morning at Barrabool track. features Steve and my son on the Rat in a field of Pre68, Pre75 and Pre85 sidecars.

Found it   

Number 56 Hope ya resting in peace my mate.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 10:58:52 PM by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Bumper

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 10:59:45 PM »
thanks tim,the rat is just fun  ;D anything made between the hours of 1 and 4.30 in the morrning has meaning
,will post photos along the way . will try my best to have it at hbbb next year for its first run
going to try to keep it as it was ,but with some shocks !!! it pounds the crap out of you just getting it off the back of the ute

Offline Tim754

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 11:05:59 PM »
Imagine doing three laps of Ravenswood with no sidecar suspension .... Steve and Daniel did an Aussie Title like that but never actually accredited with winners trophy  as Pre68 only had one entrant/ competitor.... forced to race with the Pre75 teams.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Bumper

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 11:08:46 PM »
luv the road sign,s used as body work

Offline Tim754

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 11:12:26 PM »
Steve and I firmly believed in " Life and Evolution" of our ugly beasts . Make whatever changes ya like mate as long as the old horrors still can be fired up and see and smell the track! We both hate/ hated  sad sick dead museums that stick them in a corner never to hear racing engine anger again. Cheers  
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 11:14:24 PM »
No comment on the how the signs were acquired.... ;)    Um well OK the sidecar floor on mine says 'give way' underneath...  :D :D :D :D :D
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 05:50:25 PM by Tim754 »
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 11:18:23 PM »

Steve Ledger and "Jeff" with the Black Rat at speed in Morgan South Australia not long before he left us.

Steve weighted about 41Kilos when this taken and was in gut wrenching  pain, still loved it!!!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 11:22:44 PM by Tim754 »
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Bumper

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 11:30:58 PM »
thanks tim photo,s are awsome ,tyres flying in the back ground
can even see the smile,s under there helmets
put fresh race fuel + plugs in it hooked up a battery
2 big kicks and she fired up ,so the resto begin,s

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 11:12:37 AM »
This photographer maybe able to help you out with more pics 2006 Morgan ASA comp.

http://www.inmotionphotography.ifp3.com/#/gallery/morgan-apr-12-heat-2-and-3/morg-a12-h2-3-0013/
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 11:20:37 AM by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline Bumper

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 05:41:24 PM »
will do thanks,have got the chair back ,blasted and coated in black onix
the main  frame needed a  new center tube ,as not to much supension ,snaped clean in half
only the frame number was holding it on  ;D

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 07:21:34 PM »
hey bumper (or Tim) was size is that donk 650cc? i know stuff all about it what year and model is it?
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 09:48:48 PM »
I'd love to build a Metisse with one of those W650 Kawasaki motors just to upset purists. A mate had one on the street back in the day and I remember it leaking oil like the good old BSA it copied. It was the first big road bike I ever rode and just like my first nookie, I'll never forget it. ;D
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha