Author Topic: Case halves  (Read 1997 times)

Offline pecrazy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Case halves
« on: July 20, 2016, 05:01:16 PM »
Not VMX related but I am trying to get my Suzuki A100 project on the road. Just wondering if it is a good idea to use 2 different case halves from different years, even if they do fit over the dowls. Previous owner took it apart by hammering screw drivers between the cases but I have another motor with a good half that I need.

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
Re: Case halves
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 07:11:43 PM »
a case is a case is a case. truth be known the original cases most likely wernt made in the same year.  Just be careful and examine them in detail to if they actually are the same cases. sometimes  a small change can be a big issue later on in the rebuild. and dont believe part numbers  they have ben wrong before.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 08:55:08 PM »
Your a few weeks too late I had a complete gasket kit here for a A100 that someone left you could have had for nix. KTM are the only mass manufacturer I know of that has matched case halves
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Tomas

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 09:47:20 PM »
Previous owner took it apart by hammering screw drivers between the cases but I have another motor with a good half that I need.
You can tig weld the chisel marks/dents an get the halfs milled flat and square.

Offline pecrazy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 06:34:06 AM »
Story of my life, just missed out. Previous owner really did a number on this one with pieces missing, even pieces with bolt holes missing, hammered the flywheel and broke the end of the crank, butchered the stator with screw drivers and the flywheel is still on there so I needed the spare motor anyway. Plus this way I keep the left side with the original engine number. Clutch cover fits perfectly over the dowels on both motors so that's a good sign.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 03:51:48 PM by pecrazy »

Offline micks

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 08:53:11 PM »
just in case pe  there is some difference in the model run   gearbox`s 4 or 5 speed