Author Topic: Clutch basket cushion springs  (Read 1240 times)

Offline charliew

• Novice
    • View Profile
Clutch basket cushion springs
« on: January 19, 2009, 05:02:49 PM »
The cushion springs in the clutch basket of my 82 XR250 have compressed to the extent where they now rattle in the holders, and there is a couple of degrees free play between the basket itself and the drive gear. It runs fine, but it makes a terrible noise, and I am pretty sure the clutch cushion springs are the culprit. The rest of the clutch is still in good condition so I don't really want to replace it, I am hoping that someone here has a clever ideas for fixing it.

It looks like I can grind off the rivets holding the backing plate on and get the springs out, I was thinking of getting some new springs made, or getting the old ones stretched and re-tempered.

Any ideas gratefully accepted.

Thanks
Charlie

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch basket cushion springs
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 05:06:31 PM »
Would be be worth the hassle when you could seach the wreckers and find a good used one?  ???
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 05:06:59 PM »
i had clutch basket in my TS250 that at some stage had the shock springs let go. someone had ground off rivets i think to get in and fit some new springs. they look more heavy duty. they also filled in the springs with a urethane glue/sealant stuff, probably sicaflex. i thought that was a good idea and if a spring does brake it wont fing out and get jammed in something.

i would only go down your suggested repair method if there was no used ones left anywhere. being a XR i doubt that would be the case..
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 05:09:35 PM by LWC3077 »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline charliew

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 03:53:23 PM »
You are right guys, I should probably try and get a good second hand one before I try and repair the existing one. The consequences of a repaired clutch basket falling apart in a running engine far outweighs the cost of a getting a good second hand one.

Thanks.