Author Topic: Kelvin Franks  (Read 10599 times)

Offline RED ALERT

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Kelvin Franks
« on: April 08, 2009, 11:17:42 AM »
Hey all,
A friend in the US is trying to find some contact details for Kelvin Franks. Kelvin and her Father, Stu Peters,
were mates and he has heard Kelvin is Ill and wants to get in touch.
I will pass on any info you may have. He is in Adelaide they have heard.

Cheers

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: Kelvin Franks
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 01:02:17 PM »
he has a website. im trying to find it.

ok this is best i can do. its not up and running but i found it on the archive

http://web.archive.org/web/20040718030312/http://www.franksracing.com/
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 01:05:00 PM by LWC3077 »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline RED ALERT

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 01:54:13 PM »
Thanks guys,
Will pass on the web address and see if they have any luck.
Cheers Walter, will give you a call if needed

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 05:03:23 PM »
Im going to see Snowy ardel next week and he is in the next workshop bay if you want me to drop in see if kelvin is in there ? or has a sign up with contacts on it
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 05:05:02 PM by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline RED ALERT

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 09:35:13 AM »
Thanks again,
That web address gave Sondra and her Dad all the details they needed, they were stoked.
In the VMX story on the Pro-fab Yamaha twin, it mentions that Kelvin was the victim of a hit and run driver. Sounds like he was knocked around pretty bad.

Cheers
Rod

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 01:50:36 AM »
Is the news right of Kelvins passing.
Best is in the West !!

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 06:50:42 AM »
Is the news right of Kelvins passing.

Yes ,I think so . R.I.P Kelvin

Tony T

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 07:56:02 AM »
There is a funeral for a Kelvin Franks in Adelaide on Wednesday.   ???

If it is the Kelvin Franks, RIP.
Can anyone confirm?

He did some fantastic work ofr me in the late 80's.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 10:07:41 AM »
from Lynda Franks:
Just a short message to let you know that Kelvin Franks from Franks racing passed away this week. He worked manufacturing from an Adelaide work shop for local and over seas biker until recently, he was a passionate biker.

Many racers had franks triples I know I did on my road racers , his shop was prity out there with piles of Ali swarf all over the place but he could turn out all many of clamps and items from Ali well before multi axis
 and lasers come in and took out the skill
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 10:14:36 AM by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 10:20:12 AM »
That's so sad. I only spoke to him once and that phonecall turned into a full on history of California motocross. He was probably our most famous motocross export but was hardly heard of in his own country. I'll try and post a little history later on today.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline miniwheels

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 10:31:51 AM »
Had the pleasure of talking to him a few years ago when he came back to live in OZ about some Roo Link frames he made for XR80's and RM80's back during the late 70's and early 80's, his memory was like it all happened yesterday with some great stories, next day he sent me in the mail all these photos, ads and how many frames etc that he had built and one prized autograph from him.
I was a nobody and he had the time to talk to me for hours about those great times back then in motocross history ,to me that just goes to show what a real gentleman of our great sport that he really was.
RIP Kelvin
Mark

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 10:38:11 AM »
I'll try and post a little history later on today.

After talking with Blair Harley & VMX42 at CD9, I mentioned to VMX42 that it is imperative we get these older vmx talents in the VMX Magazine before they have all gone.
Good to see VMXmagaizne has a nice five pages on Kelvin Franks in issue #13  8)

RIP Kelvin  
Good engineering is just a matter of commonsense - so very true.
Best is in the West !!

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 11:32:51 AM »
After talking with Blair Harley & VMX42 at CD9, I mentioned to VMX42 that it is imperative we get these older vmx talents in the VMX Magazine before they have all gone.
Good to see VMXmagaizne has a nice five pages on Kelvin Franks in issue #13     
I couldn't agree more. I tried like buggery to get Roy East to sit down and record his life and times but the humble old guy always put it off with a "nobody wants to read about me" and we'd move on. Unfortunately he died without that great history being documented. I may be the bad omen on these guys as I was just starting to document Col Evans career when he died and was well into a drawn out history of Sprite and Frank Hipkin when he too died. Thankfully I've got more than enough material to finish his story. I'm glad I've documented Per Klitland and Frank Stanborough's careers but still feel sad that I/we missed out on hearing the great stories from Roy and Col. Ray Fisher has a wealth of stories and a shitload of photos and memorabilia, much of which he shared with us at CD3. Blair Harley is also a wealth of history. Their careers needs to be documented more sooner than later.

Here's a piece on the Kelvin Franks 3 wheelers https://sites.google.com/site/franks3wheeler/ , Kelvins website showing his amazing work...http://web.archive.org/web/20040718030312/http://www.franksracing.com/ . Along with Stu Peters, Kelvin created the CMC, to this day the main motocross organisation in California...http://www.socalmxnews.com/page2.php?recordID=139&VolIssueID=7 scan down the page until you get to the MXA BACK IN THE DAY: Mike Bell, A Yamaha Twin & The Kelvin Franks Era section http://motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/MXA-MIDWEEK-REPORT-JLaw-His-New-Pals-New-Products-2231.aspx   

« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 11:34:35 AM by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Rusty

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 12:04:58 PM »
I first ran across Kel in SoCal back in the heyday of our sport - the 70's.   He was building all sorts of trick bikes that were weird, wacky and wild - Monoshock CR125 was one that worked very well from all accounts - there was a TA125 twin engined beastie that gave me the heebiejeebies just in the pits at Carlsbad - Another was a CR125 with the shocks under the frame that while it worked was a maintenance nightmare and many, many more that I have long forgotten.  The guy was a true genius and a very humble and sincere person.
Poke that bone back in and wrap it up tight sport - I am racing the second moto.