Author Topic: How to id the exact year of maufacture of 1960s 250 cz motorcrosser  (Read 5501 times)

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
  Purchased today a 1960 something cz 250 side piper, and I would like to know if I can identify exact year of manufacture using the frame and engine number and if so where do I look.   It looks to be correct and in good condition but I will need this info before I start any rebuild.
p.s.   Some photos would also be nice
                                                    Zane
Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: How to id the exact year of maufacture of 1960s 250 cz motorcrosser
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 02:42:21 PM »
http://czmadness.net/specs/cz250.html
This should be a good start.If you look through the tech data stuff you'll find there is 1 parts book that lists the different parts as they occur & has a lot of drawings that help work out what you're looking at
Pretty sure most stuff will fit engine wise except a radial head on the earlier engine although the radial engines also have a 5 speed box

Offline Bamford#69

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 04:43:05 PM »
Hi,
do you have a ID plate on the steering head? show us some photos,and your engine #
CZ side pipes can also be 1970 but not 71,
there are quite a lot things that look similar to later (yellow tank) 250 but are different , in particular engine cases ,apart from the engine #,are different at the rear engine mounts.
cheers

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 07:21:15 PM »
i have a yellow tanker the frames are different on the bottom rails.
also the 70 cz was a side piper with a down pipe on.seen these in the usa
jim

Offline Bamford#69

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 07:54:06 PM »
Hi,
the 250 side pipe engine numbers start  980.02.****
the id plate manufacture date will only have the first 3 digits , ie; 196 or 197,the actual  year was never stamped at the factory, brand new id plates are available online,
the frames and engines, forks brakes wheels are externally different to the later 71/72  250 yellow tanks, similar but not the same.
cheers

Offline bullmad24

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 08:43:50 PM »
This will be you FAT TOY  ;D

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 11:06:51 PM »
  Hi guys my CZ has the ID plate on the steering head and all numbers match the production year as you said has only 3 digits (196) the bike is almost complete at the moment it looks like al I need to get is an original clutch lever, steel front guard, and a muffler heat shield.  Anyway thanks for your help guys and I will post some photos if I can figure out how to get them from photobucket to here.

ps   Bullmad24 if I get it that high off the ground she will be doing the splits for sure when it hits the ground,  is that yor CZ in the second photo,  they are great looking bikes.
                                                                                                       Zane

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 08:15:48 AM »
I will post some photos if I can figure out how to get them from photobucket to here.

Click on the picture icon, then copy and paste the URL of the photo on photo bucket in between the two 'img'.

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 08:59:15 PM »
 This is a photo of my new CZ it came with a box of parts including an original airbox pair of rechromed steel rims a pair of new old stock tyres and heaps more goodies.[/img]

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 03:45:10 PM »
Looks like you've got a good starting point there, is the airbox 1 piece with the inner guard? Muffler sheild could be the hardest thing to find although a decent sheetmetal firm should be able to make 1 if you can borrow 1

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 09:37:30 PM »
Tony  it has the original one piece airbox with inner guard built into it the exhaust is in really good condition withone small dent which I can repair with a little air pressure and some heat, The heat guard I will be able to make if they are hard to find.
                                                             Zane
[/img]