Author Topic: Steering race removal for YZ250J  (Read 1952 times)

Offline 1983_Enduro_YAMI

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Steering race removal for YZ250J
« on: January 10, 2018, 08:22:50 PM »
G'day all,

I'm currently restoring a 1982 YZ250J. The steering is the first thing to be done on the bike since it's unique design of running the coolant through the frame and overtime the seals dries out therefore it leaks easily especially for a 30+ years old bike. I'm replacing the steering race and bearing at the moment due to the coolant had rusted them out. Anyone knows a way of knocking the races out without damaging the surface of the seal seat?

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Steering race removal for YZ250J
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 02:39:55 AM »
Yeah that year and on theres nothing to get a punch onto the bottom bearing of yams to remove it but I've found running a bead or 2 of weld with a stick welder  around the bottom bearing does the job and the weld gives you something to hook on to for tapping out the old bearing with an old axle

Offline 1983_Enduro_YAMI

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 07:56:51 AM »
That's a good idea however i have to watch the weld make sure it doesn't fly into the steering neck because it's where the seal goes. How can i prevent that? Put a damp cloth in the steering neck or some????

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 02:46:55 PM »
You could roll some thin galv sheet steel to protect your seal surface but normally weld splatter doesn't stick to much as not enough heat to burn in.all the bike's I've done have been aircooled