Author Topic: TODAY'S TIP :-)  (Read 5152 times)

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
TODAY'S TIP :-)
« on: January 16, 2023, 10:23:45 AM »
This could be good, each day if someone could post a helpful, motorcycle related tip, one per day, if you come with a tip and someone beats you to it, save it for the next day, I'll start .......

An old throttle grip works a treat as a sleeve/seal where the muffler slips onto the expansion-chamber, I just fitted one to a 125 but could stretch for a 250? Your welcome, have a nice day :-)
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline Tomas

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: TODAY'S TIP :-)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2023, 06:14:04 AM »
and if you can not get magnesium tig rods or thing the shipping is too expensive for a couple of them to fix you holed magnesium clutch cover. you can get a magnesium anode rod( 99% magnesium) from a local hot water system supplier an use it in place of tig wire. It is a touch thicker but it worked really well for me  :) :)

Offline PeterC

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2023, 07:51:03 AM »
Throttle grip is one I am keen to try. I will use an old one to fit a 250
Thumbs Up!

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2023, 10:39:59 AM »
and if you can not get magnesium tig rods or thing the shipping is too expensive for a couple of them to fix you holed magnesium clutch cover. you can get a magnesium anode rod( 99% magnesium) from a local hot water system supplier an use it in place of tig wire. It is a touch thicker but it worked really well for me  :) :)
Definitely expensive stuff. Last time I got some it was 2 lbs direct from a welding supply shop in the US, don't remember the price but it works out to be about $4 a 3.2mm rod. Got to remind myself to count up the buts and add to the bill. Soon adds up in a large repair job.

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
TODAY'S TIP
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2023, 10:26:11 AM »
If you haven’t tried it: CT18 “Super Wash”.

It has changed my Dirt Bike world.
Follow the instructions, inc “Spray on, and leave, even overnight”. Then hose. The dirt jumps off!!

I think, as is understandable, that if the bike was clean, before you got it dirty, this stuff is amazing. Hose the mud off (low pressure garden hose) spray, leave to do it’s magic, hose off. Chamois if required. (Needs scrubbing on chain/sprockets)

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
Re: TODAY'S TIP
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2023, 10:58:59 AM »

Follow the instructions, inc “Spray on, and leave, even overnight”. Then hose. The dirt jumps off!!

I think, as is understandable, that if the bike was clean, before you got it dirty, this stuff is amazing. Hose the mud off (low pressure garden hose) spray, leave to do it’s magic, hose off. Chamois if required. (Needs scrubbing on chain/sprockets)

It doesn't eat into aluminium being left on overnight?

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: TODAY'S TIP
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2023, 05:06:47 PM »

Fair question:
I was gob smacked watching my mate use it (letting it dry).
He said “read the instructions” - “Leave on, even over night - safe on all metals,etc”

Changed my life it has

It doesn't eat into aluminium being left on overnight?

Offline PeterC

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2023, 06:01:22 PM »
Keep em coming. Handy hints
Thumbs Up!

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2023, 10:31:27 PM »
Can't find reed valve petals, or you have modified the cage and it longer accepts stock reeds (cut out divider/s), I buy carbon-fibre sheet by scooter performance company 'Malossi', I buy it from GPS Imports in Castlemaine, Victoria. I buy it in .35mm sheet for 125's and .40mm for 250 & 400's.

I just cut them out with a pair of scissors (they are actually my Mums old dressmaking scissor I borrowed from her when I was 15, forgot to give them back), I use the old petals as a pattern for the mounting holes.

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2023, 12:09:51 PM »
For those that use ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) in their bikes, for gearbox use, be warned that all ATF except 'type F' has friction modifiers, meaning there is high possibility of the clutch slipping.

So, for gearbox use, type F is the go, type F is designed for Ford transmissions made before 1977.

For suspension use, all others with 'friction modifiers' are the go, I use DXIII.

All brands of ATF are strictly controlled for its viscosity rating, basically all ATF is equal to 7wt fork oil viscosity. Keeping in mind for the same given advertised fork oil SAE viscosity ratings, there is a variance.

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2023, 04:21:12 PM »
Jetting
There is so much more power and easier to ride motorcycle once jetting is correct. There is much more than just the main jet.
The vast majority of bikes come jetted to rich on the needle circuit. This makes them kick hard when they come on the main jet as the bike clears itself. This also affects the cornering manners of the bike as you cant use part throttle correctly to keep the bike pulling to the inside. Spend the time and money to correctly get the mid/needle circuit working correctly and you will ride faster and happier. Dont use 40 year carburetors they cant be jetted correctly because of wear in the bore.
If your running bings the slide cutterway is the hardest part to get correct but is well worth the time, most people junk the bings because they cant stop the blubber but its all in the slide.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2023, 06:00:22 PM »
If you break a tap, drill bit or easy out spray it with freeze spray then hit it with a punch and shatter it, then you can pick the fragments out.

Offline PeterC

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2023, 07:58:08 AM »
Words of wisdom. Keep em coming, thanks guys
Thumbs Up!

maxvmx

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2023, 04:38:23 PM »
Don't waste your life restoring a TT350 Yamaha

Offline monaro308

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2023, 10:53:12 PM »
To everyone that sits on a start line or in general that lets go/snaps the throttle closed when revving their engines.....
Next time you want me to work on your carby, I'll shove it up your clacker and snap that cable fully open and let it go!
ROLL THE FRIGGIN' THROTTLE OFF!!!!!! ;D
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 10:55:12 PM by monaro308 »