Author Topic: Brake pin removal  (Read 2159 times)

Offline CRTAD313

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Brake pin removal
« on: July 15, 2013, 05:16:21 PM »
Any tips for removing the brake pin that holds the pads in on the rear of 89 cr125, has been butchered.

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Brake pin removal
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 06:11:58 PM »
A good engineer with the right tools should be able to get it out for you,you will need to remove the caliper & take it to them,it's a bitch when that happens,when you get a new pin use the type with the 8mm protuding head & put anti seize on the threads,no probs getting it out next time ;)

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 06:18:22 PM »
Any tips for removing the brake pin that holds the pads in on the rear of 89 cr125, has been butchered.

Carefully Tig weld a piece of flat steel to the pin spray with roostoff and undo with shifter.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 07:57:43 PM »
just starting to type up pretty much the answer above. Many times i've got broken studs out of difficult areas by drilling a hole in a bit of flat to sit over the stud [or pin with an allen key hex in this case] & i my case [no mig] just poo on it good with the arc welder, [only get one shot so use enough amps] trying to do it so the flux on the rod doesn't get there first--do it slightly uphill so the flux stays behind the weld [sort of thing]. Probably can't help melting a bit of alloy near the pin head. All that's providing you can get at it of course. Had similar on my old RMX & was lucky in that i punched hell out of the pin [think down the hex hole initially] then punched the end to pein the hex over a bit then with a straight allen key [cut from a bent one] drive the bugger in then with a good [as new] allen key just unscrew it [well--that's the plan, if all goes 'to plan']. Goodluck.

Offline CRTAD313

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 07:13:52 PM »
thanks

Offline gazza125

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 08:14:13 AM »
I have had some luck with a few methods:
The dodgy (preferred) get the next sized up 3/8 or 1/2 ratchet drive imperial Ellen key socket and drive it in until it is seated as far as will go and undo.

Not so dodgy - The fact that is I assume has been fully rounded out gives you a good basis to drill the pin out. I use a drill slightly larger than the pin and drill down through the head of the pin until the pin separates from threaded portion. I then use the above method to remove the remainder of the pin. You may have to screw it all the thru clockwise rather than trying to remove it as per usual. Cheers... Any 86 NOS parts lying around?

Offline mr500

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 09:05:16 AM »
Hi mate
I did a mates '85 cr500 caliper with a seized pin last week.
The allen head was rounded so i drilled down into the pin shaft and inserted/hammered an 'ezyout' into the hole.
Still no move , even with a big shifter on the end of the 'ezyout'!  (careful -you do not want to snap off an 'ezyout' in the hole :'()
So I dropped the caliper into near boiling water for 10 mins,let the alloy soak in some heat and expand.
Tried again -and out she came! ;D

Smoke'n..

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 09:17:43 AM »
now that's a'good' trick i hadn't thought of. [boiling water]