Author Topic: what did I stuff up here?  (Read 18285 times)

Offline djr

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: what did I stuff up here?
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2017, 10:04:28 PM »
"Seems that whenever an engine stuffs up everyone wants to jump on the oil ratio bandwagon to justify their cause."

that is so true ,

I used to believe that using the most expensive 2 stroke oil at exactly the right ratio was critical,
then one day went riding  with a mate and he mixed up the fuel for both bikes {air cooled Ossa + Yam IT},
when packing up at the end of the day he realised he had made a mistake and had mixed some Silkolene Fork Oil with the petrol instead of Silkolene  2 Stroke Oil !
both bikes ran perfectly all day on the Fork Oil Premix, maybe we where just lucky or maybe these old engines will tolerate different oils & ratios more than you would think
anyway , just saying , not trying to offend anyone,
 has anyone else done anything similar ?  or are we the only idiots to have done this

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2017, 10:29:13 PM »
Joey Dunlop ran out of fuel at the TT and astounded onlookers by draining one fork leg and mixing it with fuel and riding back to the pits. Though riding back to the pits and trail rides are not fanging in sand or mud.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2017, 07:09:15 AM »
Team ADB went racing their kdx 200 at 200:1 when they forgot to put oil in the fuel can...no probs.

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2017, 09:35:32 PM »
Joey Dunlop ran out of fuel at the TT and astounded onlookers by draining one fork leg and mixing it with fuel and riding back to the pits. Though riding back to the pits and trail rides are not fanging in sand or mud.
Good old Joey D--legend. Remember a similar story of someone out trail riding & the thirsty 2stroke ran dry. So pinched some fuel out of his mates economical 4 stroke. Took the tail light lens off & emptied some oil out of the gearbox & mixed it up then carried on to the end.

Offline tymes

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2017, 04:08:34 PM »
When we were young blokes Fino (god bless) had this old TS that had a hole in the box case. He rode it for about a year, In the end he didnt bother toping up the gear oil and never bothered puting any oil at all in the fuel. It ran for a few weekends and still went when he parked it up for the last time. It was a beast.